Discover Wild Florida! The Florida Black Bear Scenic byway passes through the heart of the Ocala National forest, and features 6 world-class natural springs. This travel guide will show you the way to enjoy authentic Florida. One of Florida’s oldest amusement parks is formed around Silver Springs, the world’s largest first magnitude spring, and features glass-bottom boats for a better view. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings gathered stories of local people along this byway, and the Yearling Trail is named for her Pulitzer-prize winning novel. Some of the history along the byway rivals the Wild West, and you will find information about the vital characters of the past to help guide you on your own adventures. This guide helps you decide what kind of byway traveler you would like to be. Quickly find things to do, see, know, or what services are available on the map. If you have a signal, you can get step by step mapping instructions from where you are to any point on the byway map. The directions feature works at a good distance from the byway, so it’s a great tool for finding just how long it would take to reach any spot on the byway.
Information is also broken into chapters:
- Visitors Guide – basic info on visitor center, emergency help, tips, highlighted destinations
- What is your Travel Style? – Choose from 4 byway types to help you narrow your tour
- Trip Planning – directions from major airports/cities, lodging, restaurants, and tours
- Featured Waterways – World-class springs, and great boating and fishing on the lakes and rivers
- Black Bear Community – Learn about the area and see it through a local’s eyes in the “Ask a Black Bear” section
- Recreation – Activities along the byway; fishing, off-roading, camping, hiking, wildlife information
This application is packed with information, but you can easily save your favorite entries to help keep track of what you want to see. Links to web references and videos are sprinkled throughout, and there are many photos to give you a feel for the byway. On the IOS version, the traveler will also have acces to an offline map even with no cell signal.